Sunday, October 10, 2010

AM Q3 ASN1 Blocking

I was very excited to get started on this project this week. What could be better then animating a character with a sword and shield. I also liked that for the first time I feel like my character has a real personality and not just doing an activity.
Though I had all kinds of problems with this project. First I updated to Maya 2010, which was free for students, thanks Autodesk! Though it appears to be a memory hog and at times runs really slow on my machine, there was no hope of playing with any good timing, Which lead to lots of playblasts.
I ended up animating this scene twice. The first time I animated it I had set up how the sword and shield leaves his hand in a weird way. The way that the extra items get attached to Stewie is simply by parenting the object group to the hands, this would not do me any good for what I want them to do. I will make sure in my survey this quarter to mention adding better option when it comes to parenting. I ended up parenting the object group to the hands, which made keying the sword and shield weird and hard to mess with in the time. After I did the first bit of blocking I didn't like what I had so I decided to start over and set up the items in a much better way.
After setting up the sword and shield with splines for controls and to hold the parent constraints I had a much more efficient and keyable and adjustable set up. I reanimated the scene and I changed some of the actions and it didn't turn out as nice. I ended up liking my first pass better. So I had to figure out how to copy and paste animation into my new set up. It took me a while to figure out, it turned out to be really simple, it was more about importing the animation the copy and pasting it. After that I cleaned up as much as I could of the old blocking and for some reason some of the controls didn't transfer, I reblocked those and got as far as I could. I just ran out of time jthere is still more that I want to do.


I think this week I might try and do a couple of run cycles from the Richard William's The Animator's Survival Kit, because I feel like there is something off with my run and I can't figure it out and the best way to learn something is by doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment